Provide leadership to enhance the vitality of Canada’s dairy industry for the benefit of Canadians.
Provide efficient producers of milk and cream with the opportunity to obtain a fair return for their labour and investment.
Provide consumers of dairy products with a continuous and adequate supply of dairy products of high quality.
Purpose, mandate and role – Canadian Dairy Commission Act
The Canadian Dairy Commission is a Crown corporation that reports to Parliament through the Department of Agriculture and Agri-food. The Commission is a key facilitator for the country’s dairy industry and serves the following functions:
- purchase, sell and dispose of dairy products;
- make payments for the benefit of milk and cream producers;
- conduct investigations relating to the production, processing or marketing of dairy products;
- administer milk classes in conjunction with the provinces;
- manage the national market revenue pooling system on behalf of the dairy sector;
- promote the use of dairy ingredients.
Mandate and role
The CDC’s mandate is drawn from the Canadian Dairy Commission Act. To carry out its mandate, the Commission plays seven roles:
- support for the dairy industry, by chairing the Canadian Milk Supply Management Committee;
- administrator, by managing revenue pooling and market sharing;
- market analyst, by calculating the national dairy production target and setting support prices for butter and skim milk powder;
- import and export manager, including the purchase, storage, processing and sale of dairy products in domestic and international markets;
- regulator, by administering programs for the benefit of Canada’s dairy industry;
- auditor, by conducting external and internal audits of programs;
- leader, by guiding and defining best practices in Canada’s dairy sector.
The Commission strives to balance and serve the interests of all dairy industry representatives: producers, processors, further processors, exporters, consumers and all levels of government.
Excellence / Integrity / Leadership / Respect